People prefer different environments for falling asleep.
While some like having ambient sounds or music playing in the background, others like absolute silence. If you spend most of the time amidst too much sound, you may need the latter.
If you belong to the second category, you may have thought about using earplugs for sleeping.
However, as you may have noticed, there are still many grey areas when people talk about using earplugs to fall asleep and stay asleep.
In this article, we have answered some of the common questions you might have about this process. So, if you need comprehensive coverage on the use of earplugs as a sleep inducer or enhancer, you should read along.
Why Do People Use Earplugs for Sleeping?
First, we will talk about earplugs. As you may already know, earplugs are used to protect your ears from loud noises, especially working in industrial areas.
Continuous exposure to loud noises can impact your hearing while also causing long-term health risks. To fix these problems, people came up with earplugs. The earplugs stay so tight in one’s ears that loud noises cannot reach the ears.
At the same time, it was also found that an earplug can provide complete silence during everyday scenarios, such as when you are at home sleeping. Then, it did not take long for people to start using earplugs for better falling asleep.
There are several reasons why people use earplugs for sleeping. Some of them are:
- They may live in an area where there is constant noise. It could be a railway track or a freeway. Or a factory may be producing so much noise so that they cannot fall asleep. In short, ambient noise that can prevent people from falling asleep is a common reason to use earplugs.
- People with snoring partners may also use earplugs for sleeping. In scenarios where they must stay in the same room, a pair of earplugs will be the only solution. On the other hand, if you happen to have a partner who needs white noise or ambient sounds to fall asleep, you may need earplugs.
- Finally, some people are very sensitive to sound. They may wake up even when a small thing happens around them. Of course, these constant wakeups will negatively impact sleep quality in no time. A pair of earplugs seem to be a perfect solution for this problem.
While these are merely some examples, anyone who needs to stay away from ambient sounds might use an earplug.
However, sleeping with earplugs in your ears comes with its share of benefits and problems. We will have a brief look at both.
Benefits of Sleeping with Earplugs
Here are the most significant benefits of sleeping with earplugs.
- A good pair of earplugs can protect your ear from loud noise. It means you can fall asleep quickly and stay asleep for an extended period. Even if you are very sensitive to sound, using an earplug will offer some solutions since these devices can block the passage of sound completely.
- Because you do not wake up intermittently and fall asleep at the desired times, using earplugs to fall asleep will have a long-term impact on your sleep quality. As you may know, sleep quality is linked to several health aspects, including heart, blood pressure, diabetes, etc.
- As we mentioned earlier, some people need complete silence to fall asleep. This situation may have to do with their mental health for the most part. Therefore, it is not wrong to say that the correct use of earplugs will assist you in regaining proper mental health over time.
As you can see, the benefits of using earplugs are impressive.
Depending on how you use the earplugs, you may face some drawbacks.
Some of the common issues are as follows:
- Research has shown that people who remove earplugs too quickly can cause damage to the eardrum. There are even some cases where the eardrum is ruptured due to force. While this may not happen to everyone, it stays as a risk.
- Continuous use of earplugs will impact the movement of ear wax within your ear. The same will happen if you use headphones and earphones for an extended period. In both cases, you may end up having some ear infection issues.
- Ear wax production may also take a toll due to the constant use of earplugs. There have been cases where the ear wax production increased or became unstable, thereby causing further issues. If this issue persists, you may face problems with ear balance.
As you can see, the problems that occur due to the improper use of earplugs are plenty. But you should also note that you can prevent most of these situations by taking some extra care.
Proper Way of Using Earplugs
Here are some ways to help you use earplugs for sleeping without causing problems.
- Ensure that you get a pair of high-quality earplugs in the first place. These are accessories you will keep in your ears for an extended period. Therefore, you should prioritize the safety and comfort of the whole deal. We do not recommend saving money by saving for a cheap one.
- Regardless of what the earplugs manufacturer may say, you should clean the earplugs as frequently as you can. It will ensure that you can remove potential dirt and infectious elements from the earplugs. Using an ultraviolet cleaner may be one of the best things you can do.
- We understand that some of you may not be able to fall asleep without earplugs. However, you must try to reduce the use of earplugs as much as possible. For instance, if you can get a nap without using earplugs, you should do that.
If you take care of these hygiene and comfort-based tips, you will not have trouble sleeping with earbuds.
Also, when you think a pair of earbuds have worn out, you should not hesitate to replace them.
As you see, there are many reasons why you should use earplugs for sleeping.
Of course, there could be the potential problems that we mentioned. In the long run, though, you can ensure your sleep quality and mental health by using earplugs properly.